HAPPY NEW YEAR! As we get ready to kick off the new year with our goals and aspirations for 2017, I took some time to reflect on the past year. I like to look back as I determine my top areas to focus on moving ahead. I thought it would be fun to reflect on my top favorite ” foodie finds” from 2016 that I have fallen in love with and now can’t live without!
Check out my top 8….then leave a comment and share your “favorite food finds” that support your wellness goals.
ps…and if you give one of my top 8 a try…. come back and share your thoughts!
- I Love Beets: No more excuses of why you can’t indulge in all the benefits of beets! Toss in smoothies, slice on salads, eat as a snack….options are endless . Despite this little gem as my “go to”….I do still prefer getting my organic beets and roasting them…especially this time of year when they are local and in season! But let’s face it, sometimes life calls for a little convenience! (ps. if you saw my cake recipe in the last newsletter – these work great!)
- Braggs 24 Herbs & Spices Seasonings: I have tried so many spice blends but am often less than pleased with lack of flavor or versatility to use with a wide range of foods. This blend seems to be great on anything…sprinkled on salads, dips, added to dressings, mixed with roasted or steamed veggies, added to soups! Not only is this blend delicious, but adds a punch of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties to your meals… a win-win in my book!
- Clean Soups by Rebecca Katz: If you want to master delicious soups filled with amazing flavor and ingredients… this is the book for you! This goes beyond your basic soup cookbook and gives the true meaning of “food as medicine” in each and every recipe. Colleague and culinary guru, Rebecca Katz, is known for her amazing gift of of healing and health for those impacted by cancer. From broths and stocks, blended soups, to more hearty soups…each recipe is perfected to brilliance! (I include many of her recipes in my 10-Day ECF Detox – perfect for gut-healing and detoxifying!)
- Good Karma Flaxmilk with Vanilla: I admit… 12 years ago when I had to give up milk, it was hard. But when I switched to organic soy milk, it seemed to fit the bill for all my needs for years. However, due to my own health issues and concerns with soy… last year I said goodbye to my daily soy milk and switched to organic coconut and almond milk. The downside to the change is no protein, and I didn’t like either in my coffee. After trying almost everything, while refusing to go with sweetened creamers… I found cold-pressed flaxseed milk. It was the right creaminess with the extra protein and now a regular staple!
- Cardamom: It wasn’t until the past 2 years that I had been introduced to this amazing spice.Related to ginger (another favorite) it can be used to combat nausea, acidity, bloating, gas, heartburn, loss of appetite, constipation, and more. This spice helps the body eliminate waste through the kidneys, and why I will use this in my detox regimens. I would love to say I am uber creative with this spice, but mainly I toss it in teas, hot cereals, pancakes mixes, and have used as a rub for chicken! Check out more about benefits of cardamom! If you don’t have this spice in your cabinet…perhaps it’s time to jump on the bandwagon.
- Organic Red Lentil Rotini: Non-GMO, organic, gluten free, high in fiber (11 grams), high in protein (21 g), rich in minerals and essential vitamins, cholesterol free…..and cooks in 8-10 minutes! Besides the fact it is in a box (but is recyclable)….you can’t go wrong with this product when it comes to nutrition benefits. Taste is great and since it is so high in protein, it makes a super fast meal paired with veggies and your favorite sauce. Try homemade marinara or pesto… or my new favorite – Creamy Avocado Pasta!
- Avocado Oil: This has been the year of avocado for me. I can’t get enough… and almost panic if I am without…avocado in smoothies, avocado cream sauce, dressings, and now oil! I love using this in place of my EVOO when roasting veggies, making dressings, and sautéing at high heat when making stir fry (Check out my blog – are you hurting your health by choosing the wrong oil!) Be sure to look for cold-pressed and non-GMO.
- Truly’s All Natural Deodorant: OK, so I know this is not “food”. However, with only 4 ingredients (organic coconut oil, organic powdered sugar, baking soda, and beeswax) it practically qualifies. (grin). I had to share due to my enthusiasm. My 2 year search for an all-natural deodorant (that works!) in order to avoid the toxic aluminum and other ingredients has ended. Numerous bottles can be found in my drawers that failed to deliver anything close to my clinical strength deodorant. This was the BEST find of 2016 for me. Works perfectly and covers me in any and all sweaty and stressful circumstances. Truly’s is my new “true love” for my personal hygiene needs!
Do you want to achieve your wellness dreams in 2017… beat the bloat, lose the weight, regain control of your health, renew your vitality, discover the root cause of your health struggles? If so, give me a call. I would love to hear about your wellness dreams and help you discover abundant health in the New Year!
In the meantime, leave a comment about YOUR favorite 2016 FOODIE finds!
Wishing you a healthy and vibrant 2017! Julie