It is TIME to PLAN ahead so you can avoid “the surprise” around your middle in the New Year! If you received the JBS Nourishing Newsletter…then you know that I LOVE “one-pot wonders” this time of year. These are recipes that…
- include all your food groups in one mixed meal, PLUS offer a powerhouse of antioxidants, flavoinoids, and anti-inflammatory ingredients
- are easy to make with tons of leftovers (that taste even better days in the frig)
- tingles the taste buds with flavor that impresses even company who dropped by unexpectedly
- fills the craving for Fall comfort food and makes you smile with delight when eating (well at least for me :))
My most important purpose for “one-pot wonders”…is to help me stay on track with the type of high quality “fuel”, nutrients, and energy I NEED this time of year! How about you? Let’s face it, we are all rushing to the store after work, crowding extra commitments into our schedules, surfing the web looking for the “perfect” holiday gift, and dealing with those around us who may be a bit extra “needy” this time of year;)! Seriously, who has time to plan and cook every night? PRECISELY why most of us don’t! And without a plan… we find ourselves eating on the fly, grabbing the closest thing in sight , OR grazing all night long once we get home late. (We have all have been there…there is no denying it…cupboards open, game on!)
So… besides the Hearty Tomato Lentil Stew I shared in my Newsletter (hint: if you are not a subscriber, you may want to sign up!) Also check out the recipe Carrot, Cauliflower, Butternut Squash & Lentil Curry! Here is another recipe that I have tweaked and modified to make it my own, Chicken & Veggie Soup. I hope you enjoy this recipe and other “one-pot wonders” to help YOU stay on track with your eating and wellness plan this year!
ps. If you didn’t realize it is already Mid-November!….Yikes, time to get PLANNING for SUCCESS this Season. Need a bit of encouragement, due for a nutrition tune-up, OR pre-holiday make-over (grin). Contact me, let’s chat!
- ¼ cup raw brown rice
- ¼ cup barley
- ½ cup red lentils, rinsed and picked over well
- ½ cup brown lentils, rinsed and picked over well
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt/ ½ tsp black pepper - or to your taste
- 1 pound organic chicken breast - cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups organic veggie broth + 2 cups filtered water
- 3-4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Put all ingredients into a large pot (except the spinach) and bring to a boil.
- Cover and turn down heat to simmer.
- Cook for ~ 1 hour.
- Check seasonings and add extras to your liking.
- Add spinach and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let sit a few minutes to absorb flavors!
- Sprinkle with parmesan, feta, or vegan cheese if desired.
- Enjoy and SAVOR!
- If you are vegan, you can omit the chicken and add cooked tofu or extra beans
- Like your soup with a little more flavor - add ½ tsp cayenne pepper to spice it up
**Note: I highly recommend organic ingredients when able, especially the celery, carrots, spinach, and veggie broth to limit your exposure to veggies that are high in pesticide residue.