Are you still suffering from holiday or vacation remorse… with a little extra around the middle and lack of energy and motivation? Since the start of the New Year, I have heard from clients beating themselves up over overindulging in 2016. I am going to encourage you to look forward (not back!) and commit to making 2017 a year of good health and positivity. Give yourself grace and space to make healthful change possible. Consider setting aside the next week to get your digestive system (and health) back on track.
Start now to fast track your way to meeting YOUR wellness goals in 2017!
Consider initiating all or several of these steps over the next week.
- Begin the day with a large glass of water with lemon: Stock up on fresh lemons (or limes) and squeeze a generous amount into your 8-12oz. glass of water first thing when you wake. For ultimate digestion and bowel movement add to warm water. This will help stimulate your liver function and kick-start digestion. In addition, it provides a dose of vitamin C and refreshment.
- Banish added sugar, alcohol, red meat, fast food, and bread: These are known causes of inflammation and gut distress. Replace with whole unprocessed foods that you love and will love you back …choose foods that are not packaged and come from the Earth!
- Commit to cooking at home: Have you seriously thought about where your food comes from and who prepared it? Hidden calories, food additives, oxidized oils are often hiding in food prepared by restaurants, deli’s, and fast food. Eating at home gives you control over quality ingredients, calories, and portion sizes. Cooking can also be a relaxing activity that you can enjoy with your loved ones. (I once knew a CEO of a major hospital who took time to prepare meals with family…making time to cook has to be a priority for it to happen!)
- Take time for gratitude and meditation: Meditation is a gentle, effective way to cleanse your mind and body. Meditation can also help curb food cravings, put you in touch with how your body is feeling, and ground you in order to help develop new, healthier habits. Try meditating for 10 to 20 minutes each day. Need a fun and non-threatening introduction – try this app.
- Replace coffee with herbal tea: Give the coffee and caffeine a rest and try some herbal teas. Sipping on teas that contain ginger and dandelion have the added benefit of supporting your digestion while flushing out toxins. Two of my favorites from Traditional Medicines are the Ginger Aid and Roasted Dandelion.
- Do a mini fast overnight: Aim to finish dinner by 7 p.m….and eat breakfast around 7am; this will give you approximately 12 hours in between meals. This can function as a miniature fast. Intermittent fasting can give an overworked digestive system a rest and can cleanse the liver, boost immunity, and reduce inflammation.
- Move at least 3-4x/week: Exercise helps stimulate digestion and mental clarity. You don’t have to start your new year cardio plan just yet; even light yoga or a brisk walk around the block will help revive your digestive system.
- Set aside time for self-care: Carve out time for YOU – you are important. Take baths, read a novel, do restorative yoga, or treat yourself to a massage or acupuncture. Taking time to care for your body will help balance life and provide perspective.
- Consider digestive support: If you tend to have delayed gastric emptying (sluggish digestion) or low stomach acid, you may benefit from digestive enzymes or digestive support to help optimize breakdown and absorption of food.
What is holding you back from taking time to take care of your digestion and health? YOU are important. Don’t wait, commit TODAY to following these tips for 1 week to reset your digestion!
Optimal digestive function is essential to good health; as well as achieving and maintaining a healthy weight and energy level.
Cheers! Julie 🙂
These steps and so much more… are part of my 10-Day guided Detox program designed to optimize your body’s natural process of detoxification. This allows key organs such as your liver, kidneys, and gut to function at their best!
(ps. If you missed the program that just kicked off this month….I will be offering it again in the Spring – come join us!)