What does the word DETOX mean to you?
If you are thinking about starving yourself, eating only 4 foods, or drinking liquids for a week…that is not the way to healthful detox! Unfortunately, there are many misconceptions about the meaning and proper practice of detox. Even for me… years ago I thought it was a crazy practice to entice people to drink liquids and drop weight fast (absolutely the worse thing to do for your body!)
Proper methods of detoxing is not about depriving your body of food or nutrients! It is an opportunity to provide your body with the essential nutrients needed to support your body’s natural detox process to bring you into balance. It is a chance to introduce your palate to foods that will help your body balance and heal from the inside out!
Approaching a detox in a positive and healthy way can help you to re-establish a baseline and allow your cells and organs to function at their optimum potential. By introducing key foods and nutrients (eliminating others) while focusing on mindfulness, proper rest, movement, and environmental factors, your body will experience a well-balanced and effective detox.
Why is a detox a good idea?
- Detoxification is a normal but complex process where the body neutralizes and eliminates toxins through its major organs such as the liver, colon, kidney, lungs, lymphatic system, and skin — your body efficiently does this every day! But our self-cleansing system can get overloaded…even more so today than ever before…by unhealthy food, lifestyle habits, exposure to environmental toxins, and emotional stress. Sometimes it needs a break and a little support to function at its best!
- Many factors contribute to toxicity in the body….processed foods; alcohol; sugar; outdoor pollution and smog; harmful chemicals in the home and office, including kitchen and bathroom cleaners, detergents, etc. Some of us are more efficient than others in the detoxification process.
- We may have limited control over the environment that we are exposed to, but we have total control over the food we eat and the products we use on our body and in our homes.
- Even if your diet is good, a cleanse or detox can restore and boost your immune system…as well as protect against environmental toxins that pave the way for disease-bearing bacteria and viruses and increase risk of chronic disease.
A detox program may be right for you if you experience:
- Low energy, and fatigue
- Cravings for sugar, salt, and processed carbs
- Bloating, gas, and indigestion
- Skin problems like acne, rashes, or eczema
- Weight gain and difficulty losing weight
- Dry skin and hair
- Depression, moodiness, irritability
- Lack of concentration
- Weakened immunity
OR if you are ready to reset and refresh your system to experience greater health, vitality,and energy! (especially after overindulging during holidays!)
What are the benefits?
- Rest the organs and eliminate stored waste (you may even lose weight!)
- Improve vitality and energy levels
- Enhance and improve digestion and absorption of nutrients
- Clearer skin and complexion
- Greater productivity and calmer mind and spirit
- Enhance mental clarity
- Improve immune function
- Greater sense of well-being
- Lower risk of disease and illness
When is a good time for a detox?
It can be different for each person but change of seasons, around the new moon, or after a time of overindulging (the NEW YEAR is a perfect time).
Stay tuned for my upcoming online detox programs!